Tilla's just written a wonderfully funny post about odd laws in Denmark, and that got me thinking about some of the strange laws in this country. Sure, some of them are old laws that aren't enforced anymore as they're out of date, but that doesn't make them any less legal.
- In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman anywhere within the city limits as long as he is carrying a bow and arrow.
- It is still illegal for a Welshman to enter the city of Chester between sunrise and sunset. The law states he must be put to death by anyone that finds him, but can only be killed with an arrow.
- A woman may only drive a car if a man walks ten feet ahead carrying a white flag to warn all that she's coming.
- In the Houses of Parliament it is illegal for anyone to die unless they're royalty. The conviction rate for this crime is pretty low.
- Anyone that places a stamp upside down on a piece of mail can be charged with treason.
- It is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day.
- If a dead whale is found on the British coastline, the head becomes property of the King, or the tail becomes property of the Queen depending on who is in power.
- It is illegal for a taxi in London (and only London) to carry rabid dogs or corpses.
- Any Royal Navy ship that enters the docks of London must hand over a barrel of rum to the head constable of the Tower of London.
- All men over the age of fourteen must carry out two hours of Longbow practice per day.
- A man who urinates in public is not breaking the law if he aims for the rear wheel of his own vehicle and keeps his right hand on the car at all times.
- It is illegal to hail a taxi if you have the Black Death.
- Another way to be charged with treason here is to stand within one hundred yards of the reigning monarch while not wearing socks.
- Any person caught breaking a boiled egg at the sharper end can look forward to a day in the city stocks.
- It is illegal for a man and woman to have sex on the steps of a church after the sun has set in Birmingham. Presumably, during the morning service is okay.
- A pregnant woman has the right to urinate anywhere she wants, including on other people if she can get close enough.
- If a policeman asks you not to incite a dog to bark after midnight then you must obey him, as long as you're both on the beach…
And you thought your country was strange eh?