It’s official, September 12th is Video Games Day folks – a day where every game player can look back at the adventures they’ve had in virtual worlds. That’s what they are these days, by the way. The time when video games meant guiding an overweight italian plumber through a side-scrolling realm, avoiding enemies and dying if they don’t make that blind jump to the next platform is over. Now game creators are creating their own breathing worlds which follow their own set of rules just as the real world does.
I’ve had some good times this year. Here’s a few moments that stand out in my memory;
- Playing Fable 2 at night, with the lights off and listening to the things the Banshee whispers to you, realising just how creepy they are and getting a chill down my spine.
- Realising that Fallout 3 is cool despite it’s many faults, because the thing I’m taking cover behind is a Super Mutant Behemoth’s foot.
- Cruising around in Saints Row 2 when my character starts singing along with the radio in the most hilarious rendition of The Final Countdown that I’ve ever heard.
- Playing LEGO Indiana Jones and remembering just how awesome the theme music makes me and every other guy feel.
- Falling partly in love with Meracle the mischievous half-cat girl in Star Ocean 4.
- Being hunted by a never-ending stream of infected African villagers in Resident Evil 5 before I noticed the many problems with the game.
- Realising that Kim is scarily effective as the monsters in Left 4 Dead’s versus mode.
I’ve had some good times this year and I just hope the next year brings me as many good memories.