This sexy little beastie is the Xbox 360 Slim that is thought to be one of the big announcements at Microsoft's E3 presentation in the evening of the 14th of June. I've gotta admit, it's absolutely gorgeous and brings the aesthetics of the now five year old console more in line with it's competitors. Our insurance has almost run out on our current Xbox 360 and, typically, it's started playing up recently. I have a sneaking suspicion that the console will break the day after the insurance runs out but, with something like this to upgrade to, I'm not really all that bothered.
- Touch sensitive buttons for on/off and eject
- 360's usual twin fan has been replaced with one large fan making it "whisper quiet"
- Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi
- 250GB internal drive (removable hard drives from previous models can have data transferred via USB)
- Smaller, more efficient power supply
- Optical audio our port integrated on back of console for AV system connection
I'm not entirely happy with the idea of an integrated hard drive as I use my console a lot and they wear out quickly. Still, with most data backed up online and the ability to use external USB sticks for save games, it might not be as much of a problem as I think it will.
The Xbox 360 Slim will be in shops by the end of the week and will cost as much as a current Xbox 360.